You have the skills and you have the motivation, but you just don’t have all the customers that you want to dedicate them to.
However, the good news is that freelancing professionals are in high demand. And, with more companies outsourcing work to these individuals, the opportunities to find new clients are endless.
So, freelancers, how do you get these prospective clients to spread their roots and employ your services?
Find out as media update‘s Lara Smit ploughs into four ways that you can sprout some more clients here:
You’ve heard the saying, “It’s all about exposure”, right?
Well freelancers, when you’re on the lookout for more clients, this saying couldn’t ring more true.
By attending conferences, events and other professional gatherings, you will be able to:
- establish yourself as an industry professional
- network with other professionals
- learn more about your audience’s preferences
- share your contact details with a variety of individuals, and
- (most importantly) connect with potential customers and inform them of your offerings.
This will allow you to be at the top of people’s minds whenever they consider hiring someone to perform the services that you offer.
Additionally, these events will allow people to get to know you on a deeper level. Therefore, they will be more likely to trust you to perform a task than someone they don’t know.
2. Establish yourself as a thought leader
When you establish yourself as a thought leader in your field, clients will be more likely to trust you to get the job done well. This is because they will see you as an expert in your field with invaluable knowledge and skills.
Becoming a thought leader is definitely easier said than done though. But a good place to start is by creating content online that exhibits your expertise, insights and experiences in your industry.
As we’ve mentioned in a previous piece, blogs are a fantastic tool for freelancers to enhance their credibility and build their reputation.
This is because blogs help you to:
- showcase your understanding of industry-relevant topics and trends
- boost your website’s ranking on Google with search engine optimisation, and
- exhibit your knowledge and experience in your field.
Social media allows you to start and enter into discussions about your industry.
By injecting your voice into conversations on these platforms, you are able to:
- draw attention to your proficiency through your shared thoughts and ideas
- build a following by sharing helpful information such as tips and advice
- forge relationships with relevant audiences by engaging with their content
- increase your online visibility, and
- appeal to more customers who are searching for skilled professionals.
3. Build your portfolio
Portfolios are a great way to land more clients because they tell people everything they need to know about you that will make them want to hire you.
Portfolios allow you to:
- demonstrate your skills and capabilities to perform tasks
- show prospective clients how you can help them and what your work for them could look like, and
- give individuals an idea of what working with you would be like.
So, where do you start?
A good place to start is by building yourself a website where you can:
- upload and showcase examples of your work
- describe who you are and what you’re passionate about
- provide an outline pricing for your services, and
- list your contact details.
4. Tailor your services
It is essential for freelancing professionals to stay on top of industry trends and up-to-date with their audiences’ preferences. Why?
It allows you to identify areas where you can upskill yourself and increase or improve your offerings. This will make you a must-have employee for clients who require these unique skills and services.
How else do you think that freelancing professionals can gain more clients? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Want to stay up to date with the latest news? Subscribe to our newsletter.
A big part of growing your client base is by improving your visibility. Find out how you can do just this in our article, Four ways that freelancers can enhance their visibility.
*Image courtesy of Canva
Freelancers Freelancing How freelancers can get more clients Ways that freelancers can get more clients Spring Growing a client base Client base Networking for freelancers Freelancers as thought leaders Freelancing Portfolios